About Us Historical Milestones 1944 Santa Rosa Chamber of Commerce appoints a blue-ribbon committee to study the medical needs of the City's 18,000 residents. 1945 Present 8.3-acre site obtained and subsequently donated to Sisters by Fred Rosenberg. 1946 City officials cite a modern hospital as City's #1 priority. 1947 Chamber of Commerce invites the Sisters to establish a hospital. Community fund raising begins. 1948 Construction begins for a hospital to be named "Memorial" for WWII victims. The fund raising campaign nets $355,000 from 3,600 donors. Sisters borrow $1,750,000. 1949 Cornerstone for the hospital is laid. 1950 SRMH opens with 90 beds, 12 patients, 93 employees, 70 medical staff, and 10 Sisters. Sister Rita Rudolph is first Administrator. 1953 Sister M. Ligori appointed as Hospital Administrator. 1953 Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals accredits SRMH. 1953 6-bed ICU and a 9-bed PACU added. 1955 The SRMH Auxiliary (the "Rose Ladies") established. 1957 Community campaign begins for construction of new wing to increase capacity from 90 to 150 beds. Community donates $343,000 toward $1.1 million cost. Henry Trione heads fund appeal. 1959 Sister John Joseph (later called Frances Dunn) appointed as Hospital Administrator. 1961 Lucile and Paul B. Kelley Cardiopulmonary Institute constructed on hospital grounds; later donated to SRMH. 1962 East Wing constructed, adding 60 beds, PT, ICU, Recovery, and 6th OR. 1964 Sister Alma Bachand appointed as Administrator. 1965 10 beds added to Pediatric Unit, raising capacity to 22 beds. 1966 Hospital has grown to 168 beds, 15 bassinets, 340 employees, 12 Sisters, 180 doctors and 100 Rose Ladies. 1967 4-bed Coronary Care Unit opens; the first in Sonoma County. 1968 Third floor added to the East Wing bringing total capacity to 219 beds. 1969 Sister Mary Esther appointed as Administrator. 1969 Major earthquake in Santa Rosa; SRMH sustains $500,000, but remains in operation. 1970 Intensive Care Newborn Nursery (ICNN) opens. 1971 Nuclear Medicine department opens. 1972 First Total Hip operation performed north of San Francisco (at SRMH). 1973 New "Emergency Room" opened. 1974 First Corneal Transplant performed at SRMH. 1974 Board of trustees expanded to include lay persons. 1975 Arthur V. Crandall appointed as first lay Administrator. 1975 Equipment campaign kicked off with goal of $1.3 million. 1977 Sonoma County's first Paramedic Base Station established at SRMH. 1978 Parenting & Childhood Education (PACE) Committee established. 1978 Ultrasound added. 1979 Ground breaking for three-phase major expansion to replace 121 beds, ED, and all ancillary and support services. Employee Committee raises $175,000 for new cafeteria. 1980 SRMH acquires 60-bed Santa Rosa General Hospital; St. Rose Alcoholism Recovery Center opens at General Hospital. 1980 City of Santa Rosa issues $29,680,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds for Phase I of building program (replacement of Central Plant). 1981 First Open Heart Surgery in the County performed at SRMH. 1981 First hospital long-range plan developed. 1982 Computerized Tomography (CT) introduced. 1983 Phase II of building program completed (121 bed and service replacement). 1983 Rohnert Park Healthcare Center opens. 1984 Angiocardiography services introduced. 1985 Phase III of building program (Emergency Department) completed. 1986 George Heidkamp appointed as hospital President. 1986 Kidney Transplant and Organ Procurement services added. 1986 First aeromedical transport to SRMH; helicopter lands on Montgomery Avenue. 1986 Redwood Empire Medical Group (REMGI) formed with support of SRMH. 1987 Dedicated Cardiac Catheterization Lab added. 1988 Mammography Unit added. 1988 Jake Henry appointed as President and CEO. 1988 Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy added. 1989 Cancer Program approved by the American College of Surgeons. 1989 First Laser Angioplasty performed at SRMH. 1990 Mobile Health Clinic and Dental Clinic begin service. 1990 Neurosurgical Stereotactic Biopsy initiated at SRMH. 1990 Jim Houser appointed as President and CEO. 1991 Electrophysiology Lab established. 1993 Home Care Partners formed as a joint venture with Warrack Hospital. 1993 Memorial Hospital Foundation of Santa Rosa, a separate corporation is disestablished; SRMH Foundation, an entity of the Board of Trustees, is formed for fund development. 1994 SRMH designated as a "Community Clinical Oncology Program" (CCOP) by the National Cancer Institute, one of only 50 such sites in the nation. 1994 Construction of a 50,000 square foot Medical Center Plaza completed. 1994 Construction of employee parking garage completed. 1994 Community Benefit program begins. 1994 "Growing Together" pre-natal education begins. 1995 Elsie Allen High School-Based Health Clinic opens. 1995 Radiation Therapy Pavilion in the Cancer Center opens with major gifts of $1 million. 1996 Robert Fish appointed as President & CEO. 1996 Southwest Community Center opens; later to be gifted to the community. 1996 "House Calls" program of home visits to frail elderly begins. 1996 Subacute Unit opens at SRMH. 1996 SRMH leases the General Hospital property to Catholic Charities for $1/year to operate the Family Support Center homeless shelter. 1997 SJHS begins long-term contract to manage Petaluma Valley Hospital. 1997 SJHS affiliates with Primary Care Associates and Hillcrest Medical Group. 1997 Memorial Hospice begins in Santa Rosa. 1997 St. Joseph Home Infusion begins. 1997 Radiology services open at the Oakmont Medical Suites. 1998 St. Joseph Health Foundation, a medical service organization (MSO), is established. 1998 St. Joseph Home Care Network established serving Sonoma, Napa, and Humboldt. 1998 SRMH acquires North Coast Health Centers. 1999 David Ameen appointed as President & CEO. 1999 Level II Intensive Care Newborn Nursery established in partnership with UCSF. 1999 SRMH designated as Trauma Center for Sonoma County. 1999 Circle of Sisters, a mentoring program for young girls, begins. 2000 Palliative Care Unit opens at the Sotoyome campus. 2001 Pain Clinic established. 2002 SRMH contracts with Horizon Mental Health Management to manage Psych Services. 2003 SRMH Ambulatory Surgery Center opens. 2004 New Cardiac Cath Lab dedicated. 2004 St. Joseph Urgent Care Center opens at Fulton Campus. 2004 SRMH Emergency Department Registration and Waiting Room expansion completed. 2005 George Pérez appointed President and CEO. 2006 Evert and Norma Person Heart Institute.